Joloff Rice (Djolof Rice)
Recipe by Gladys Sala Petey (Damongo, Ghana)
Oil for frying
Chicken thighs, legs
One onion, finely chopped
Salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 green pepper sliced
1 cabbage sliced
3 carrots diced
4 cups of rice
3 ripe tomatoes diced
6-ounce can of tomato paste
Lettuce for garnish
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Stir-fry the chicken in the oil until it is browned on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Add the onions, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and seasonings to the skillet and fry the mixture until the onions begin to become tender. Remove the onion mixture from the skillet and set aside with the meat.
- In a Dutch oven or large covered cooking pot, bring the broth and two cups of water to a simmer. Place the meat and onion mixture into the Dutch oven and cover.
- In the same skillet used for the meat and onions, stir-fry the tomatoes and other veggies. Continue frying the mixture until the vegetables are partly cooked, then add them to the meat, onions, and broth in the Dutch oven.
- Add the rice to the Dutch oven and stir gently.
- Cover the Dutch oven and cook the mixture over a low heat until the rice is done and the vegetables are tender (about half an hour). Stir occasionally and check to see that the bottom of the pot does not become completely dry. Add warm water or broth (a quarter cup at a time) as necessary to help the rice cook. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve with one lettuce to garnish.