Recipe by Zonia Judith Garcia de Garcia and Reyna Floridalma Alvarado de Ramirez
This soup includes toasted, ground corn, a regional variant on this dish known across Guatemala. It is commonly consumed directly from the bowl, no utensils needed.
3 chiles pasas
2 chiles guapes
2 red bell peppers
1 lb tomatoes
4 oz tomatillos
2 oz sesame seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole peppercorns
1/2 cup toasted and ground corn kernels
1 chopped chicken breast (optional)
- Roughly slice all vegetables and grill them together on skillet.
- Boil chicken for twenty minutes in two cups of water, or boil water without chicken for vegetarian version.
- Puree grilled vegetables in food processor or blender, and then pour puree into boiling pot.
- Add ground corn, salt and pepper to taste and to thicken the soup.
- Serve! (And remember, no utensils needed.)